Monday, November 9, 2015

The Red Cup of Yuletide Greetings

Sometimes living as an expat the things that are missed just seem silly. If I were back home I wouldn't miss them. In fact I would rarely even care about them. But, for some reason those "silly" things are big reminders of home.
Some silly things I miss in no order of missing: Mountain Dew (barely drink it at home), drinking fountains, window screens, parking lots (not parking garages), elementary sports(maybe not as silly) I miss seeing my students play, and american chinese food (I can see some people shaking their heads).

The other day on a friend's status update they were laughing at the fact that people get so excited about the red cups at Starbucks. I to would be one of those people laughing at how funny that is, especially because I could care less about Starbucks in Oregon. The only reason I ever went there was when friends were working (right Heide?).  But here when they say that those holiday drinks are coming, with the possibility of that red cup, many of us get excited. We get excited because we can have that piece of home across the ocean. At the moment we may not get to be with our family, but we can warm our hands (not much warming needed) and warm our hearts as we recall those memories God has given us.

So as you get your Starbucks red cup, or better yet a red, blue, or green Dutch Bros cup think about how silly it is that people get excited about them. Then think of your friends that are somewhere overseas and drop them a message.

Here are some fun things that I have gotten to do the last few weeks:

Fun graph projects
The kids came up with their own question
 and ways to collect data.

Its great to have a great friend
for friendly rivalry.
Technology PD, obviously the focus was not on
 "How to take good non-blurry selfies"


Mr. Randall and Captain Zeb

Friends came to visit
Prayers: 
My parents are in the Philippines at the time, but in 5 weeks they get to come and visit for Christmas, pray for safety and health as they share the Gospel.
Pray for my church as we continue to search for a worship/associate pastor

4 comments:

  1. Well said Peter! As another non-Starbucks guy, cup color is not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even known what was happening when I wrote this. After I posted this I saw a few articles.

      Delete
  3. The 5 weeks are going fast. See you soon, sonshine

    ReplyDelete