Saturday, August 17, 2013

Honeymoon and no accent

Let me start off by saying wow what a week. This week has been pretty fun getting to finally begin the school year. That final stretch was brutal. There was a point on Tuesday 30 minutes before the new students came to check out the class that I freaked out. Thankfully God has already brought around a strong support group. My friend Megan looked at me and said really Peter what are they going to remember about today? How you welcome them or what your classroom looks like? She said she would be praying I slapped a few posters on the large blank white wall, stepped aside and prayed that this year would be God's and not mine. It has been hard and there are going to be many things about this year that I think will be a constant struggle, but like I said God has already brought around so many great people that will challenge me at school. Just like Tanya, Teesha, Heide, and Kim at East Linn. Just can't get away from people like that:)

School started on Wednesday and I had 20 of my 22 students show up. Now for those who are teachers you know of the "honeymoon" period. Those who don't get it let me explain, normally in the last 4 years I have been teaching, the kids no matter if they are new or returners they are quite and listen. By about the second week out you want the kids to start acting up. Well there was absolutely no honeymoon period. So the first day was quite different than I normally start the year. Making me once again needing to rely on Christ than on myself. The second day we made it through a little more. While doing that I wrote on the whiteboard with permanent marker. You are probably thinking really? but here in Jakarta the permanent markers and white board markers look almost the same minus the word board marker on the permanents. BAHHH! So picture trying to teaching a lesson while also trying to remove permanent marker. Another time to trust God. It may seem like these epiphanies came after each event but it more came as I look at these pictures and was reminded of what God has me here for. Look at these children, each one of them precious in His sight (up to 23 now:).
batik Friday

making name tags

grades 1 and 2 chapel

break time at the park
This last part is short. Tonight I was at church and met a couple from Australia and one of them asked me where I was from. I said I was from Oregon. The lady then said, "So you are from America?" I told her yes. She could not believe it and went on to tell me that I had no accent. Which is kind of funny because normally I never think I have an accent anyway. But some of my other friends from Oregon said that they get teased about having an accent. That is really funny since my sister is told in Germany that she too does not have an accent. What does this have to do with anything? I was thinking afterwards that as a Christian would somebody look at me and say that I don't have an "accent?" Meaning would they know that this is not my home, but that Heaven is my home? Just something that I thought I would pass along.

Prayer:
Please pray for the first full week next week.
Relationships to be built at church

Things I miss:
electric pencil sharpeners
Walls that you can put tacks in

As always sorry for all the grammar mistakes. Thanks for praying.

1 comment: